Monday, October 19, 2009

Houston Int'l Quilt Festival, Days 2&3

My first days of classes were filled with lectures and a luncheon. The first event was a luncheon with lecture given by Marti Michell, and the topic was Quilting in Sections. It was a different way to quilt in diagonal sections that I had not seen before... I'll have to try it.

Next was a 3-hour design class by Carol Bryer Fallert on Eye-dazzling Foundation Piecing...



This was Carol's Best of Show entry in the quilt show...

...and it's called "On the Wings of a Dream". The bird shape is created with quilting only and is lovely.


I didn't get many photos in the first days, but the classes were excellent. Later in the evening was a business-type lecture by Hollis Chatelain about "Following Your Passion" and marketing your work, whatever it may be.


Day 3 started with another business class by Morna McEver-Golletz, the editor of Professional Quilter Magazine. The title was "Turn Your Quilting Passion into Profit". All of the classes will help my fiber arts business, and these lectures were right on target for what I wanted to learn.


The afternoon of day 3 started with some of the fun, hands-on classes: June Colburn's "Finding Hidden Treasure in a Silk Blouse" was messy and fun as we screen printed with shaving cream and Colorhue instant-set silk dye. June's classes are full of information and are very relaxing...I call her classes my "yoga" classes because of her quiet, soothing voice and calm demeanor.
More about the remainder of Houston week coming up soon...

No comments: